<VV> early battery Failures

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:56:13 EST

tonyu@roava.net writes:

> What IS it with type 53 batteries these days?  We won a 53 battery at a
> Vair show a few years back, nice and new, worked well ... for a year anna
> half then went sour and actually froze and split the case during one really
> cold night while sitting in the battery box of the ragtop (which now has
> the battery stolen out of the Yugo).
>
> The  battery wasn't yet 2 years old (since winning it) and it *froze* and
> cracked.   Go figger...

**************************

Tony!  I'm surprised you don't know why battery's freeze..when others don't!

Specific gravity...STATE OF CHARGE

A charged battery will not freeze! [ YES..leave them in - 50  deg.  for long
enough and the charge dissipates]

The ONLY  reason a battery fails due to construction / quality  is if a Cell
SHORTS....which is cheap construction  or  OFF ROAD  abuse!! ggg

I seldom have a battery that doesn't last 5-7 years [in vehicles that I keep
that long...]

BUT....I regularly CHARGE them.....1 amp trickle charge for a week or so at a
time...

Batteries will CRANK  an engine when having only 20%  CHARGE......or even
with just a "Surface charge" [  jump start,  or  quick charge =1 hr. or so]

The plates sulfate quickly when living with only 30-50% charge.....then the
battery goes away!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V