<VV> Fan bearing & Rebuild

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:22:34 -0500

Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Doug Foust
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 12:05 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Fan bearing & Rebuild

my 64 vert 110 PG is making a whirring sound that sounds like the bearing at
the top of the fan.  This comes at a time when I have been debating whether
to pony-up 2 and a half to 3 grand for an engine rebuild (which I really
can't afford at the moment).  A couple of questions:
1. If my diagnosis - fan bearing - is correct, any guess how long I can
drive like this before something catastrophic happens?
2.  How tough for a rank amateur with basic tools to replace?
3.  What should I pay to have it done?  (wondering whether this is the final
straw that leads me to go for the rebuild)
4.  Any suggestions on who to use in Ohio if I go for rebuild?  (likewise,
any sugestions of who to avoid off-line please)

Thanks to all,
Doug Foust