<VV> new thread- dual turbo on a corsa

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:59:05 EST

In a message dated 1/13/05 6:30:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
robpe009@student.otago.ac.nz writes:

<< This seems odd to me as boost normally kicks in at a certain rev range in
 my limited experience. If you were in third or top, your revs would be
 lower than say in low or second gear?

Rev range has very little to do with boost production as long as it is 3000
rpm or above.
  Load (throttle opening-heat production) determines boost and load is less
in the lower gears.
   Using a small enough exhaust section can produce full boast in lower gears
as well as over boosting in higher gears--large waste gate required.
   The offset boost inlet to the crossover pipe is not a problem and the
right angle inlet is correct for diffussion. The only theoritical advantage to
dual turbos is that the extremely small size size, if correctly sized, leads to
quicker spin up due to the smaller flywheel-inertia effect of the turbine
blades---hardly measurable.
   Sometimes small dual turbos are used for packaging reasons or for compound
staging (RX7)
    Warren