<VV> Corsairs (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:29:39 -0800

>At 03:41 PM 1/12/2005, vairologist@juno.com wrote:
>> > I'm fairly certain that all Corsairs had the PW 2800.
>> > Ned
>>----------------------------------
>>Smitty says:  You may be right since it has been a year or two. but that
>>doesn't sound like much of an engine to power what was the fastest bird
>>in the fleet in its day.

in 1940 the PW R-2800 was about the biggest and strongest engine available.

Even today, the R-2800 is no slouch, good for over 2500 hp in modern form.
  It's fairly light for its output and reasonably compact, with a frontal
area no greater than most any other radial available at the time.

>>Seems like a 3350 would be more likely.  Just

I think the first single engine production anything with an R-3350 was the
AD-1 Skyraider.  And it had to wait on the engines... B-29s were sucking up
just about every "super cyclone" that got built for the first year of
production.   Them, and Lockheed Connies.

>>playing with memory I believe the AM was the only single engine, single
>>wing plane in the fleet with a 4360.  It liked to do snap rolls when the
>>pilot fiddled with the throttle.  Very difficult to bring aboard a
>>carrier for that reason.

Was this that big cantankerous looking thing with the garden rake flaps?
Maybe they shoulda tried contra-props.   Give maintenance something else to
cuss about besides plug changes.

>>         I'll bet the enemy was impressed when their own bullets came
>>bouncing back at them when firing at a GY Corsair.      GG

...a flying Fiero...?

tony..