<VV> 110 "Recipe" and Distributor Woes

Geoffrey Albert Clarke Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:19:49 -0700

I had mentioned before that I was really happy with the distributor setup
in my 64 110 engine.  It had the point cam and weights from a 63 102.
Before I took the engine apart it liked this.  I recently tore the engine
down and put it back together with some different
parts. Distributor is a Dale rebuilt unit.

It is now back to all the correct weights, point cam and springs for a 64
110 PG distributor.  The housing is correct even for a 64 110 PG.  The
weights are in the correct way up.

The engine is comprised of the following differing from stock;

140 Exhaust Manifolds
The Source Valve Lifters
# 304 Late Turbo Cam
Dual exhaust with H-Crossover pipe
65 110 Carburetors with high speed enrichment circuits
New harmonic balancer
Crankshaft Turned and Polished 10/20 undersized on Mains/Rods
Piston/Rod assemblies balanced to 1 gram spread
Turbo/140 end housing w/ 24: timing tag, w/ oil pump shaft end welded to
prevent leaks

The engine tied to a 3:55 PG is a scalded cat,
especially compared to what it was before.   I cannot seem to get the
timing right.  It has a surge, from constant speed, when pressing the
accelerator (from say 40mph), feels like the engine is tripping on itself,
then catches up
and takes off.   This is not bad accelerator pumps, as off the line it is
perfect and this is a set of 65 carbs I just built for it.  So the basic
point is, with a 304 cam in the engine, should I change anything in the
distributor? I have tried 3 different vacuum advances, and tried limiting
there amount of travel, and they dont seem weak.

-Geoff Johnson

Come Bender!  If your done scamming Beck, were headed home.
-Phillip J. Fry