<VV> Re: Replacing Differential Seals

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:39:12 -0800

> From: "Ewell Mills" <emills5@cfl.rr.com>
> Subject: <VV> Differential leak and questions
-------------------snip--------------
I found that the seals were not leaking, but both sides were
> leaking at the bottom of the side bearing adjusting sleeve,
-----------------snip-------------
The differential works fine and I really do not want to pull the
> drive train to fix it if I can avoid it
---------------------------------------
Smitty says :  You came to the right place.  The secret is to not count
the notches or turns till the adjusting nut comes off, but on one side at
a time count the notches till the bearing tightens.  When you put it back
together bring the nut in to the same torque you put on it when you
measured and then count the notches back out again.  Finish with one side
before you disturb the other side.  Only do one side at a time so you
won't loose the operating reference you started with.  You will likely
have to stick a short piece of broom stick in the diff carrier when you
are starting the nut back on to make a handle to support it.  it gets
awful heavy after a couple of frustrating minutes trying.  Slip the nut
over the handle and then lift the carrier into position.  Again, do not
disturb one side until you are all done with the other side.