<VV> EBay heads up (no Corvair but very useful if you buy or sell Corvair stuff on eBay!)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:32:51 -0000

Just a little note to say that I have had no fewer than four of a disturbing
new kind of eBay spoof today. At first I was semi-convinced they were real,
but I just thought I would check anyway (with spoof@ebay.co), and they are
definitely fake.

Three were invitations to me to become an eBay power seller, but the
clickable button showed an address that wasn't eBay. The fourth was cheeky!
About a month ago my eBay ID was hijacked for about an hour, and someone
started selling a stolen motorbike on it. Both I and eBay discovered within
the hour and cancelled the sale, but it was scary (I guess someone had
somehow got one of my passwords and hacked into the account). Anyway, I
changed all the settings and it has been O.K. since.

Today I got an email purporting to be from eBay, saying that as my account
had recently been the subject of fraud they wanted me to verify all my
account details. You've guessed it - that was fraud too! That one is cheeky,
because it was believable, and I assume it came from the perpetrator of the
original fraud (it could have just been random, but I have never had one
like it before).

Anyway, just a warning to forward ALL emails like that to eBay for checking.
And if you need to change any of the personal details in 'My eBay', go to
www.ebay.com and log in to do it from there, rather than clicking on links
in emails.

Cheers

Alan

P.S. Sorry if this is off-topic - if it helps some of you avoid fraud it was
worth it!