<VV> Engine question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:45:22 -0500

The 140 engine and its distinctive parts are very much in demand and, if my
Corvair weren't a Corsa, I'd be as happy or happier with a 110, I think.
With their four carburetors, the 140s are substantially more-demanding (even
of quantity and quality of fuel). Below the heads, the only difference in
the 140 is the 140's nitrided crankshaft. The cranks obviously ARE
substitutable (therefore, the ENTIRE engine below the heads), and are even
perfectly serviceable if you don't push your (otherwise) 140 hybrid too
hard, too frequently. The way (and amount) I drive, I wouldn't hesitate to
use a non-nitrided crank in an otherwise-140 engine. Use good oil, keep it
clean and fresh, don't pull trailers, keep the rpms up, and drive on.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Bill Chellis
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 4:12 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Engine question

Good evening to all:

I am just starting to gather info on a Corvair restoration project.

I have an opportunity to pickup a 110 HP engine that is of core quality at
no
cost.
I know that the heads on this engine are different than a 140 HP but is
there
any
difference in the bottom end also? Things like forged versus cast cranks?
My original plan was to look for a rebuildable 140 HP engine. Does it make
more sense for me to keep looking for one?

Feel free to add any details that I may be overlooking here.

Thanks.

Bill Chellis