[VV-talk] Re: <VV> EBay heads up (no Corvair but very useful if you buy or sell Corvair stuff on eBay!)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:42:41 -0000

Ken wrote:

> No legitimate e-mail will ask for personal information unless you have
> specifically requested something from the site.  Any unsolicited request
> for information is a case of "phishing" which seeks to gain that
> information for illegal use.

I know that - that's why I always visit www.ebay.com (sorry - I mistyped it
earlier!) to do things like that.

What worried me about the ones today was that they had buttons to click, and
out of curiosity I clicked one, to see what kind of page it took me to (I
obviously wasn't going to type anything in!).

What put the wind up me was that the page was just totally blank, and I am
worried it was trying to install spyware or trojans or something. I have a
Norton firewall and it didn't bring anything up, and neither did scans with
Norton, Ad Aware and Spybot, but it was still worrying and I wished I hadn't
been curious enough to click on the button.

And I was just plain annoyed that they used the fact that I had been hacked
into before! That in itself was mystifying, because I had absolutely never
visited a 'phish' site, I have the Norton I mentioned before and I don't
give out my passwords, so I was then and am now mystified as to how it
happened.

Cheers

Alan