<VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1623 - 11 msgs

Norm Frakes normf@centurytel.net
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:51:59 -0600

Norm Frakes
normf@centurytel.net

>  Have any of you used the Holley 390 on a 140? I have one that seems
> to work pretty well except for some hesitation at initial throttle
> application trying to accelerate out of a turn. The engine is not
> broken in as of yet so I do not know if there may yet be other issues.
> The carb has the side pivot floats and I was wondering if the carb
> will tend to lean out on turns. I do not have the original carbs or
> linkage or anything, so I really do not want to change back. The
> engine is modifed to some degree. I have not changed jets and do not
> know which ones are installed. Any thoughts?  Thank you.

I have a 66 Corsa convert with that setup .... Using the 390 cfm Holley!
Note that the carb is really isolated from the engine.....and thus unlike
most carbureted engines...the carb is not heated much from contact with the
intake manifold....that makes the carb act cold.....thus
hesitation.......atomization and vaporization of gasoline is not ideal.
Choke can also be a problem..........so I've converted mine to an electric
choke.....   I've heard that some heat the carb, but I'd like to see how
they do it without cobbling up the installation.