<VV> Re: Still Confused

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:45:44 -0800

> > From: "Bill Chellis" <chelvis@camano.net>
> > Subject: <VV> Now I am confused!
> >
> > I am not sure what engine I have. My first thought that it wasn't a
> > 110 HP engine was based on the fact it was equipped with a pulley
> and not a harmonic balancer.
---------------snip--------------
Smitty says: Bill the short stroke cranks are easy to tell from the long
stroke if you know what to look for.  On a long stroke crank the outer
part of the rod journal is almost flush with the end of the crank throw.
On a short stroke the journal in set in from the end of the crank throw
at least an 8th of an inch.  I'd go out and measure but it's cold out
there.
        Another clue of an engines displacement, only slightly more
reliable than the damper, is the fan bearing shaft size.  If it is the
same as the idler then the upper block cover is from a 64 or earlier.  If
it is bigger then it came from a Late engine.  What do the distributor
base numbers tell you    ?