<VV> Suspect Car deal

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:23:18 -0500

>You could tell him to send the check and that you will hold it until it
>clears......   That should provide a quick termination to the deal.

Not a good plan. Most bank "clear" cashiers checks almost immediately... but it often takes weeks or even months for the parent financial institution to
actually clear the check all the way back to its source... which is almost always fake in these cases.  Almost impossible to tell when the final clearance
comes back... in fact you don't know until the bank comes to you for the money. You and not they bear the responsibility of the bad check... even though
they "cleared" it for you.

The perps assume that the bank will "clear" the check immediately, that  you'll hold up your end of the bargin and wire the money off as soon as you have
it... and the they disappear. They rarely go to the trouble of actually trying to pick up the car... even having you ship them the car would make it easier for
them to get caught.

Best thing to do is ask for an EFT (electronic funds transfer). While that costs us a lot here in the US, in Eurpoe it's a common practice. Any bank that can
cut a cashiers check can readily do an EFT... and that's completely safe.  Of course I would not give them my real account info... I would walk into a
neighborhood bank, open up a $50 savings account, and ask for the EFT info to transfer money in... and make sure the bank locks down the account not
to let EFT's go out (which is why you do a savings account and not checking). Typically the offer will disappear as soon as you mention EFT... 99.99% are
fake....but if it's real, then you have to decide whether it's worth the effort.

I've done too many international transactions to take things casually....

Bill Elliott