<VV> MD residents only - Senate Bill 13

John Dozsa jdozsa@carr.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:05:04 -0500

Attention MARYLAND Corvair owners.

The text of Senate Bill 13 is available here:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2005rs/bills/sb/sb0013f.pdf

My quick reading of it is to create a new class of vehicle registration,
Class R, called ANTIQUE, limited to original vehicles manufactured in
1946 or earlier.  This would add to the current Class L Historic and
Class N Street Rod.  The bill states Class R would be exempt from
periodic vehicle inspections and pollution equipment use.

Currently Class L vehicles, which includes Corvairs enjoy this exemption
status.  The bill also permits the display of old license tags (Maryland
tags for the year of vehicle manufacture) upon payment of a one time
$25.50 registration fee.  This is currently also allowed for Class L
vehicles.  The bill was pre-filed by Carroll County Senator Haines.  His
Web site is:
<http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/msa12149.html>
Telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for him are listed there.

I don't know what to make of the bill.  Senator Haines has more than a
few buddies that are antique car collectors.  The Maryland antique car
collectors have always wanted a true ANTIQUE registration class,
distinguished from the much broader HISTORIC class.  On the other hand
if this is an attempt to carve out antiques and in future years subject
class L and class N vehicles to pollution inspections it's something to
oppose.

John Dozsa