<VV> Corvair power for boats

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:04:20 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2005 9:14:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Silveyyevlis@aol.com writes:

> Some time in the mid to late 80's we were with a group of men from the
> Ultravans club in California. I cannot remember where we were in Ca but I
> think Jim
> Craig took up there. However, where ever we were there was a power unit for
> boat made from a Corvair engine. As I recall it was either an outboard unit
> with
> the engine standing on end or it was an inboard-outboard stern drive.  It
> had
> been designed to be produced for the marine market. However, it never made
> it
> to the market because it could not get Coast Guard approval. The Coast Guard
>
> requires that all approved boat engines must have water cooled exhaust
> systems.
> We were told that it was either impractical to water cool the Corvair
> exhaust or that it was too costly, I do not remember which. This design was
> tested
> with good results but could not get the Coast Guard approval thus the idea
> of
> production was dropped.
>
> Tom Silvey

********************

NO FLAME Tom!  Jim C.  seemed to know the facts when I talked to him......

But this is what permeates the WHOLE world....mechanical or
otherwise.....MISINFORMATION!

1   never believe what you hear.......it's all for entertainment  ONLY

2    Only believe 1/2  of what you see on the
...web....TV......magazines....books.....technical manuals!!

3    When you only see a "component" .. Partially assembled / disassembled
machine........figure the owner knows little or nothing about it!

Wayne Horning built approx. 96  powerpacks..1963-66.....most were installed
in Glasspar boats    www.classicglasspars.com

They were written up in Hot Rod mag.      My boat spent 20 years in San Diego
bay as a vehicle for a Marine Contractor....

My site  even has a picture of a different hull with Wayne 100..courtesy of
Ed Corsen

If there was more interest..I'd redo / update my website...
http://members.aol.com/patiomatt

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V