<VV> Wiring harnesses

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:47:35 -0600

If we all took the dire warnings about old harnesses at face value, we'd all
go out and replace all the harnesses in all our cars.  The truth is that not
all old harnesses are equal.  There are more factors involved in the aging
of a harness that years.  The rate at which plastic ages depends on the
quality of the plastic itself and the environment to which it is subjected.
Likewise, correctly made, air tight crimps will last a long time without
corrosion and, here also, environment plays a significant role.

I have a low mileage '66 convert and '69 coupe.  Both have wiring harnesses
that are pliable with no evidence of cracking even when sharply flexed.
Because of their condition, I have no plans to rip them out and replace them
with new.  New ones can have defects (the ones in my cars have long since
passed the "infant mortality" stage) and "stuff" can happen in the
removal/installation process.

Since mine are in good shape, I'm not going to fix what isn't broken.  On
the other hand, if I were completely gutting the car for a restoration, I
might consider new harnsses if originality didn't matter.

Dave