<VV> NO CORVAIR - Geo Prizm Transmission question - NO CORVAIR

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:58:55 -0500

Is the car inert in your driveway because you don't want to take the chance driving it? What leads you to think it's the transmission setting the codes and
not the engine?

Most common thing is the 02 sensor (especially if it's never been changed). Lots of other minor thing could turn the light on. Check your owner's manual... I
think the "Check engine soon" light does not mean you can't drive it, just that you have an issue that will need to be attended to at some point. People
drive for years with the light on... almost every taxi I've been in have it burning...

My Allante flashes lights at me all the time... but I can read the codes and know that it's only minor intermittent stuff that I expect in a 12-year old car with
115k on it. Except the one that keeps reoccuring... which I know is a $15 sensor buried $1500 deep in the transaxle... ;-(

Bill Elliott