<VV> Corvair Adventures [long]

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:00:01 -0500

Only twice in my 21 years of ownership has my 1984 Honda CRX ever left me
truly stranded.  The original fuel pump died about 20 miles from home once
while paying taxes.  Kind of embarrassing for my then wife since it was just
a jump in the car, run do it kind of thing, so she didn't put on a bra.  Had
to be towed home.  (Just trying to fit in with the other Georgians, ya know.
Right Chuckster?  Redneck women getting towed w/no bras.  Would have been
better if we had no teeth)  The 2nd incident, was a broken cam shaft heading
up I-85 North near Duluth GA.

I live just south of Greenville SC, and needed to be in Charlotte on
Wednesday morning.  It was a cold morning on Wednesday, in the 20's.  I gave
my usual babying to get her started, but the ALT light stayed on.
Sometimes, she does this, and a reboot usually fixes it.  Shut her down,
cranked her, light's still on.  uh-oh.  Checked the belt - still on.
Cranked her again - still on.  CRAP!  Can't take the gas mizzerly 34mpg car.
But I still don't consider this as being stranded, so she's still on just 2.

I had to drive my dependable, mechanically fuel pumped, red 65 vert 140
4spd.  :D  It was either that, or take the step-daughters car
out-of-town...wouldn't have gone over well.  And what a pleasure it was to
drive up I-85 wednesday morning - and dang cold, too.  The stock heater
system did fine, still blowing air, but the vert must leak air pretty bad,
as I was pretty cold by the time I got to Charlotte.  I even wore gloves and
earmuffs all the way.

But ya know what?  I was smiling the whole way.  :D

Now for the bad news.  I usually back into parking spaces.  Thursday
morning, I backed in, and just barely touched the curb with one of the
mufflers - heard the scrapping.  As I drove to the hotel last night, around
11pm, I heard some scrapping from the back on the occasional bump.  uh-oh
again.  Sure enough, when I got to the hotel, I looked under her, and the
rear muffler hanger had broken, and the weight of the muffler pulled the
whole assy down.  Had to tie her up this morning with some wire, just to get
to work.  Now, I've got another 120 miles to get home today with a tied up
muffler, and possibly snow coming.  And an alternator to fix when I get
there.

Now for the good news.  One of the trainers that came up, a female, I had
never met.  We started chatting about cars and stuff.  Turns out, she LOVES
the Corvair!  Just sold her Ghia.  I ranted for almost an hour talking about
the Corvair, showing her wagons, rampsides, and greenbriars, which she never
had heard of before.  She even said she may come to one of our events to see
some.

Even though I've been from home 2 nights, it's been a great trip.  I just
hope I get all of my Corvair parts home.  :S  Gotta come back on Sunday
night for a full week, and already debatting what to drive.

Have a great Friday... I know I will (even if I gotta stop on the side of
the road and tie up a muffler several times - LOL)

Barry Ellison
2005 Corsa SC President
65 Corsa 140 Coupe, 4spd
65 Monza 140 Vert, 4spd
61 Lakewood PG, Next project

Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.