Fwd: <VV> School me on Swing Axles/M151 Jeeps

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:12:26 EST

Anybody else out there remember the M151 Jeep (Ford)

Bob
From: HallGrenn@aol.com
Full-name: HallGrenn
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:05:33 EST
Subject: Re: <VV> School me on Swing Axles
To: conwi1wd@cmich.edu

In a message dated 1/20/2005 2:54:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
conwi1wd@cmich.edu writes:

> virtualvairs@corvair.org

Yeah,  "That book" is really scary the first time you read it.  But it ain't
true.  I did use it's drawings along with drawings from car magazines from '65
and '66 when I taught an course to Motor Messengers who drove M151 (Ford)
Jeeps.  The M151's had almost unrestricted rear swing axles and the MoMo's were
killing themselves on the autobahn at speed because they didn't understand the
dynamics.

Nader should have written a book on the M151's.

If you have it in the back of your mind the first time your EM gets up to the
.6G cornering when the oversteer sets in you might even believe it.  I drove
early models when they were new in the sixties and never had a problem.

They're just different.

Bob Hall