<VV> Mercedes swing axles (NO CORVAIR for the grumpybums among you!)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:00:22 -0000

>I think these are two different discussions.
>
> One is on the quality of engineering of Mercedes versus Lancia, the other
> is on the build quality.

Yes - they are better on both counts. The diagram shows the engineering; you
will have to come here to check out the quality!

> Hand-built cars are _not necessarily_ of better build quality than
> "production" cars, but they are generally made with superior materials and
> sometimes put
> together better.

That's exactly what I meant!

> I've owned several hand-built (and semi-hand-built) cars and for the most
> part a production-built car is easier to work with.

Agreed - as Lancias were built labour-intensively, sometimes they are harder
to repair. As cost was no object in the construction, this sometimes
complicates life in repairing them. But it's worth it.

>  I can't weigh in on build quality.

Trust me! And the values speak for themselves as well!

Cheers

Alan