<VV> Sucked Carb Screw

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:41:03 -0800

At 10:13 hours 01/22/2005 -0700, Geoffrey Albert Clarke Johnson wrote:
>Thanks to everyone for the quick response.  Everyone says drive it.  If it
>had been my car I may not have even asked and just driven on.  Just wanted
>to be sure.
>Sounds and drives perfectly now!
>
>-Geoff Johnson

If you're lucky (and evidently you were) the screw just exited the engine
through an exhaust valve.   This is usually what happens.

But not always.   The '67 coupe 1/95hp engine had a carb butterfly
retaining screw break for no good reason and the head of the brass screw
fell into a cylinder.   That little brass screw head landed in just the
right spot and made a mess,  hammered like a machine gun and would NOT
rattle loose; kept hammering the cylinder head and forced me to remove the
head and pry the screw fragment off the top of the piston.

Any other time the brass screw fragment would have been eaten and digested
and spit out, no big deal.   But now and again they flip you  the finger...

tony..