<VV> Rear Wheel Hubs

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:30:49 EST

IMHO, even the 1/4" ones are plenty strong enough.
I think the issue was one of Murphy.
If some ham handed mechanic lost a bolt, he'd use one of the soft ones, like
a valve cover bolt. And they MAY have failed.
Also, those 1/4" bolts, in the hands of a ham handed mechanic, could EASILY
be overtightened, weakening them.
Given that the half shafts are an integral part of the rear suspension, ANY
failure here at speed would have serious consequences.
If you use Grace 8 bolts, and torque them properly, I can't see how the 65
setup would EVER fail. Nor can I imagine how a 65 yoke drilled out to 5/16"
would be weakened enough to fail. I've seen U joints fail, but never the yokes.

John

In a message dated 1/23/2005 7:57:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,