<VV> Corvair evolution sparks the new "sporty car" industry

Charles Lee chaz@properproper.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:07:13 -0800

As I remember it, until the Corvair, the "Big 3" figured that if you wanted
a "nice" car, you had to buy a "big car," and if you wanted to save money
with a small car, well, you didn't want a nice car anyway.

Hence, the first round small, "economy cars" in 1960 had simple trim,
linoleum floor covering, plain bench seats, etc.

(I bought my first Corvair model, an AMT promo-like '60 700 sedan, from a
cereal box offer for $1.)

I think it was the customers, and not GM, who discovered the spottiness of
the Corvair, and Chevy made the Monza in response to those discerning
customers.

All of the new line of small cars were much more nimble than their 2-ton
counterparts, but none really had what the Corvair had - a very low center
of gravity.

Then, later in 1960 with the 1960 Monza coupe, you got bucket seats,
carpets, optional 4-speed, and nice trim that was previously only available
on big cars.  You could even get this sporty trim on the sedan !

Men (and maybe not "P C" but especially women) loved it for the handling,
and with a sedan available with a 4-speed and bucket seats, they had their
"excuse" to buy it "for the family."

Chevy was still designing the car as an economical "utility vehicle" when
they made the "Lakewood" in 1961, and surprisingly, carried the Monza trim
over to the wagon in 1962 before dropping the wagon for the convertible.
(Apparently GM thought that a car line should not have both ?  Maybe they
used the wagon facilities to make the convertible ?)

Corvair's success as a "sporty car"  opened the floodgates and the other car
makers followed with "fancy" small cars of their own.

The "Big 3" became convinced that they could sell options on small cars,
too, and not just on big cars.

When, in 1962, with the introduction of the convertible and the
Turbo-Charged "Spyder," the wagon was dropped as the Corvair's image changed
to a "sporty car,"  Chevy committed to the "Sporty Car" image of the
Corvair.

Unfortunately, this reputation would be the basis for the lawsuits that were
to come later.  Ironically, after the Corvair fully evolved into the late
model version, in 1967, it was again marketed as "America's Cheapest
Hardtop," in an attempt to eliminate the Corvair's reputation from being the
basis of further lawsuits against GM for claiming it was a sports car !

The real reason for Corvair's demise ?  Lots of speculation, but I think it
was the fact that it cost over 90 cents per dollar earned to build a
Corvair, while other "normal" cars, cost 70 or 80 cents (or less ?) to build
per dollar earned.

Bottom line, pun intended, was that the Corvair was just too expensive to be
profitable, especially after insipid "America's Cheapest Hardtop" campaign !

Even if GM had improved the image of the Corvair, would it have been cost
effective to market it, when by 1967 (the year of the "America's Cheapest
Hardtop" campaign) Chevy had a successful Camaro that was much cheaper to
build, and the Corvette.

The Corvair, had GM continued it, would only erode another successful
market, and there was no need to do that, so they didn't.

I've heard that the "Unsafe at Any Speed" controversy actually caused the
Corvair to live another few years, simply to dispel the idea that they were
"caving in" to Nader, but I like to think it was because they knew they had
a great car and wanted to serve the true Corvair afficianado.

Anyway, that is how I remember it,

Chaz

PS:

In 1968, I had a new $5000 Mustang "fastback" on special order, with a 345
HP, 302 Cu In V8, but it was a "limited edition" and only 500 were produced.

While my Mustang was on order, I drove my buddy's 1965 Corsa coupe, and
absolutely fell in love with it.

I was not "fortunate" enough to get my Mustang (Ford offered to give me a
427 or a 428) and I cancelled my order (the salesman was VERY upset as you
can imagine).  I bought and paid for my first 1965 Corsa convert with the
deposit from the Mustang (and no payments !)

I have owned  over a hundred Corvairs of all years, shapes and sizes.  (In
the '70s, people GAVE them to me for FREE because they thought the were too
unsafe to keep, or even sell "in good conscience" !)

I helped Tony Fiore, the world's greatest Corvair fan, to mail out his
beloved "Corsa Communiqui" in 1969.  Those were great times.
I also helped to build the "Long Island Corvair Association" in 1971, when I
lived in New York.

I only drive non-Corvairs under protest, and to keep the miles of my
Corvair.

Chaz