<VV> EUM Update

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:27:36 -0500

All---A short update on restoration of my 65 Monza.

Corvair related, each paragraph.  To be posted on the CORSA NC website soon,
and new pictures to follow.

Greetings All.

About a month after the last update, a few hours spent on the EUM engine
yielded good results. The problem ended up being in the carbs, and the
rebuilder acknowledged the problem when he recieved them back.

In the interim,  I got a set of rebuilds by Steve Goodman through Corvair
Underground.  Replacing the AC Delco ignition parts with Bluestreak Cap, rotor
and Points, and the engine breathed well.

Unfortunately, right about the time I got the car going again, I was laid off
from my job (AGAIN) and couldn't get too much going funds wise, and much of my
time was spent looking for work.  The stock seats were still in the car, and I
drove it sparingly, but still enjoyed the driving none the less.

A couple of weekends ago, I took the car to my friend Eric's new employer,
Street Dreams Restorations in Morganton, NC., to begin installing the Camaro
Seats. The owner of the shop is letting us work on it on Saturdays, and Eric
can work on it after his 8 hours are finished for the day.  With my new job at
Timken Bearing and  a 6 day, 3-11 schedule, I can't be of too much help.

However, last Saturday we got the Camaro seats retrofitted in the car. Some
instructions from Seth Emerson helped a bunch.
 And they make a world of difference!!!  I also got a sample of interior
upholstery colors from Clark's, and the decision will soon be made as to the
interior/exterior color combination.

Other minor things to fix are as follows.

Front windows--neither ever traveled properly, and while tugging on the
passenger side to get it all the way up, I was presented with the entire
glass, less the metal channel at the bottom, in my hands. primary job just to
get them to travel properly.
Install a new dome light base and lens.
replace the wiper switch (got an NOS on Ebay for 10.00)---will repair the old
one to keep for a spare
Install the trunk lock assembly. The one that came with the car, as with the
ignition, had NO KEYS when the car arrived.
Rehab the Glovebox.---New carboard from Underground,  new rubber and lock
cylinder from Clark's. Car came without one.
Backlite--removed, channel cleaned, glass polished and re-installed.

Next month I will be ordering the new sound dampening insulation for the roof,
and the headliner, once the color is determined. Once I get my Christmas
present from NY, a Clark's Gift certificate, a new Windshield will be ordered.
The one in the car is losing its lamination, and fogging fast.

Finally, some progress on parts of the car not involved in getting it running.

Hank