<VV> Rhodes Lifters

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:47:30 -0500

On Jan 25, 2005, at 2:29 AM, BobHelt@aol.com wrote:

> Geoff,
> Rhodes lifters are a special design with a very high leakdown rate.
> They are
> usually used in only long duration racing cams. The purpose is to
> decrease the
> effective cam duration at idle and low speeds, thus giving better low
> idle
> and low speed performance, while still retaining the long durations at
> high
> speeds that are ground into the cam. The problem with these is that
> they make more
> noise that most people can stand when running at low speeds due to the
> great
> valve clearance caused by the rapid leakdown.
>  Regards,
> Bob Helt
>
> In a message dated 1/24/05 10:42:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> geoffj@unm.edu writes:
>
>> Bob,
>> Could you tell as more about these lifters?  Anything special?
>> More oil delivery ?
>> Thanks
>> Geoff Johnson
>>
>> --On Monday, January 24, 2005 3:46 PM -0500 BobHelt@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> (with the exception of a very few specialty lifters
>>> like the Rhodes  lifters).

You are correct in your assessment of Rhoads lifters (don't forget the
"a"). Rhoads calls the noise, "THE SOLID LIFTER SOUND OF PERFORMANCE".
They go on to say, "You can actually hear Rhoads Lifters work! They
have a sound all their own; a mild ticking sound at idle which tells
you they're working to boost low-end torque, vacuum and fuel economy.
When the size of your cam is reduced for more low-end torque, the
valves seat at a slightly faster rate, producing a mild solid lifter
sound. This sound gradually disappears as your rpm increases, restoring
your cam to its full size maximum top-end power."

More information is available at:   http://www.rhoadslifters.com/

I have over fifty-thousand miles on my engine using Rhoads lifters to
smooth out an Isky 280 cam. I'm very happy with them. I feel the noise
is exaggerated; it doesn't bother me at all. Last I knew, Larry
Claypool used Rhoads lifters in his engines too.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC