<VV> Question? What tires to use

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:44:02 -0500

On Jan 25, 2005, at 8:38 PM, Landstrom, Mark R. wrote:

> What tires do you suggest for a 62 Monza convertible? I would like
> something authentic looking and am wondering if there is a size, make,
> etc. that will so. (Believe it or not, my current tires may be
> original.
> They read Goodyear B 78 13 and have inner tubes. The car has been
> garaged for the last 26 years.) Thanks.

If you want to be really original you can get original 6.50-13 bias ply
tires from Coker Tire (coker.com) and others.

If you want a tire that is the same diameter as the original 6.50-13's
get a good 185/80-13 radial. In a modern radial, this will look most
like the original tires. I believe Tire Rack (tirerack.com) and Sears
has some as should your neighborhood dealer. You will be happy with the
way the radials feel on the car and how they handle.

If you'd like to have a more accurate speedometer/odometer you can use
a tire that has a spec of the same revolutions per mile as your
speedometer/odometer. This is 825 revs/mile for '65-'69 cars. I don't
know what it is for '60-'65's; 833 I think.

Finally, if you simply wish to use a tire that is a recommended
"replacement" size, you can use about any 13" size as the tire
manufacturers' charts typically list replacement sizes by load. These
"replacement" sizes have little in common with original size tires.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC