<VV> gas in the oil is probably a leaking fuel pump

kenfran@comcast.net kenfran@comcast.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:09:52 -0600

I had the same thing happen to my 1987 Dodge Caravan. The mechanical fuel
pumps are diaphragm type pumps, and the diaphragm is moved up and down by
something like a lifter that works off the end of the cam. If the diaphragm
breaks (and remember that it is just a piece of neoprene that is flexing,
pushing the fuel in and out of the pump, at the same speed as the engine
RPMs, for thousands of miles) the fuel is obviously gonna squirt past into
the engine case. Your oil is not going to lubricate very well when thinned
by gas. (Might clean out some of those blocked oil galleries, though <grin>)
This is one reason for using electric fuel pumps. Also, if you change over
to an electric pump, it is a reason NOT to use the original fuel line
through the mechanical pump, even though the valves on the mechanical pump
will still allow it to work. But if the diaphragm leaks, you are still gonna
get gas into the oil. My Corsa came without a fuel pump or master cylinder,
and one of the first things I'm gonna do is put on an electric pump.

Ken Franson
CORSA & Arkansas Corvair Club member
1965 Corsa 140
1966 Monza 110 auto 4-door