<VV> prices post/general "Wal-Mart" mentality

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:39:34 EST

In a message dated 1/27/2005 4:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, Craig writes:
In my
personal experience, people these days are so driven by "saving" a dollar
(true or
not) that they lose sight of the total "value" picture.

I HAVE to recount this story to you guys, just to let you know this is across
the board, not just with us 'vair owners.
I was working at the Leitchfield, KY Fisher Auto Parts store yesterday (I'm a
"floating manager" filling in while the respective bosses are out) and a lady
came in looking for some axles for her 2000 Dodge truck... didn't have a
listing... she said she'd called last week and she was told we had them... "Are
you suer on the year?" I asked... well, she said it was made in '99, and thats
what she told someone... "Well, a 1999 axle won't fit a 2000" and then I had to
explain how the auto manufacturers change parts after a certain year due to
design changes... She said she wasn't going to buy one from the dealer, since
they wanted $500 each... then she asked for the closest junk yard... it turns
out the splines were getting chewed up where they go into the diff, and was
making noise... she'll probably end up flipping the truck on the expressway when
one lets go at 80 MPH......
A few minutes later a fellow comes in wanting a starter drive for his 88
Bronco II... "Yes, I have one" "How much?" "$19.25" "Holy crap, thats more than
NAPA wants!" I asked what was their price, and he said $18.50... I asked if they
had it, and he said "Yeah, but AutoZone sells it for $8.99!".... let me
guess, they don't have it? "No, I'm going to find one cheaper... I guess I'll drive
to E-town (about 35-40 miles, one way, and gas tickling $2.10/gallon, driving
a late 80s Bronco 2)... what a genius. He'll spend the extra $10 in gas by
the time he finds one...
My favorite part was when he asked me if I knew anyone who sold them cheaper
than I did... I told him I made it a point to not memorize other stores prices
and inventory... Mind ya, I would have met the NAPA price, but thats about as
far as I'm willing to do.... one of the other guys there at work told him to
try WalMart.... they sell everything cheaper there.
I almost started laughing....
Just food for thought.
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg