<VV> Re/ Wheel Alignment questions

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:41:04 -0500

He may be right concerning the front toe-in.  The original spec was set
back when the car had bias ply tires.  These tires have more rolling
resistance than radial so they put a bit more drag on the front
wheels.  The toe in spec was set so that the front wheels would be
essentially straight ahead when the car was moving.

You do want some toe-in on the front even when moving -- it adds a bit of
straight-line stability.  Toe-out in the front will make the car tend to
wander.  I've gone with ~1/8" toe-in on the front and it seems to work
pretty well.

In the rear, it's just the opposite.  These are the driving wheels and the
toe-out in the spec is to compensate for the thrust that will tend to pivot
them inward.  I doubt that bias or radial ply tires make much difference in
this case -- it's the overall drag of the car versus the thrust of the
driving wheels.  So I'd stick close to the stock spec for rear toe.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo