<VV> Corvair Wheel Backspacing

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:28:37 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2005 3:37:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Poppsmail@cs.com writes:

> I am hoping someone can help me with this one...  I would like to move up
> a 14" rim for my 65 Monza Convertible but honestly don't understand the
> whole
> backspace thing.  I do know the car will "travel" if I don't get the
> backspace
> correct.
>
> I am not even sure about the width... A few of the wheels I like are 14 x 6

Backspacing is the distance from the  innermost lip of the rim [measured with
a straightedge laid across the rim...over the center hole of the wheel]  and
the BACKSIDE of the wheel center mounting surface [use the metal between 2
lug holes]

Hope this simplifies it.

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V