<VV> RE: Pilot Bushing

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:00:08 -0500

Ken -
     I'm posting your reply to the list. Thanks for correcting me. I must
hasten to admit to everyone that in advising against iron/steel bushings, I
am REPEATING advice I have heard frequently on this forum and read
elsewhere. I am NOT reporting from my own experience of these bushings.
     That being the case, and since you ARE reporting from experience, I
stand corrected, and hope I have not misled anyone by passing on "borrowed"
advice.
     Thanks for correcting me privately. As you can see, in this case, I
consider it important (and OK by you) that the information be made public
even if (as happens so often) to the detriment of my own reputation (not
great) as a source of reliable information.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: VairMech@aol.com [mailto:VairMech@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 10:41 AM
To: pottsf@msn.com
Subject: Pilot Bushing

  Underground should be MOST interested to learn that they sent you an
iron/steel one. Be sure to inform them. If you get any more steel ones from
other vendors, report these to the list. We all want to know.

    Joe,
    I have been using that very same "IRON" bushing for many years now with
not a problem to be found since I stopped using grease in them.
    It seems that the "General" public doesn't want to listen to a shop that
actually uses these bushings. Rather, the public would rather listen to,
excuse the words, Joe Blow that had a problem with them for whatever reason
and now touts that the pure bronze is the only way to go.
    These other bushings work very well, otherwise the Underground and I
wouldn't sell or use them. I can't afford come-back work so I use what works
for me. And, Clarks isn't the last word in the Corvair world either.
    Joe, I sent this private because I didn't want it to sound like a flame
on the list. But rather I would like to educate, you, and others about this
false info being perpetuated. If you wish to put this on other lists, feel
free to do so.
    Later
    Ken Hand