<VV> Brake problems on my 63

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:34:57 -0800

At 09:25 hours 01/30/2005 -0500, Mikeamauro@aol.com wrote:
>Snip>>>>>
>From: "Rick Loving" <ral1963@earthlink.net>
>> To: <virtualvairs@skiblack.com>
>> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:07:21 -0500
>> Subject: <VV> Brake problems on my 63
>>
>> I have begun to have some serious issues with my rear brakes on my 63
>> vert.
>>
>> I noticed that this Spring when I drove the car the rear brakes would
>> begin dragging after I used them a few times and would heat up to the
>> point of causing the brakes to engage.
>Snip<<<<<
>
>Rick:
>Did you replace the flexible rubber brake lines? If not, the inner liner of
>these lines can collapse and form a one-way check valve, not permitting the
>fluid to back out of the wheel cylinders.

Good point, been there done that twice.    If nothing else, it's another
good reason to replace suspect brake hoses.

Rick, are you *still* having trouble with those back brakes?    And didn't
it already get brake hoses?     I having an argument with that e-brake
cable as well when you had it at Rick Stansbury's place that weekend and a
few test drives afterwards seemed to have been OK... ?   Evidently not.

I'd look into removing the e-brake Y cable in back, the one that runs from
wheel to wheel, sheaths and all, and clean it out thoroughly (via yanking
the inner cable back and forth inside the sheaths while soaking it in
penetrant) and then oiling it to Hell and back until the cables slip
through the sheaths easily.   You should be able to pull the cable back and
forth with two fingers.    I recall that your e-brake Y cable needed some
prying to get it to loosen up, along with generous quantities of Blaster.
It may be time to yank that cable and give it Hell, or just replace it if
you have access to another good one.

One oddity I've seen with brakes is that if the brake shoes were to hang up
because of a bad brake hose which might be experiencing trouble with the
interior lining swelling or likewise somehow plugging the hose, the brake
shoes will drag and the drum can overheat to the point that things will
eventually get hot enough to boil brake fluid in the wheel cylinder and the
brake on that wheel can actually just lock up tight and stay that way until
it cools off... takes about two hours.     It will actually get hot enough
to wrinkle the paint on the wheel.   No telling what it's doing to the
tire...  outside of vulcanizing the bead onto the rim.

Let us know what you turn up.

tony..