<VV> Gen light glow

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Thu Jun 2 09:35:22 EDT 2005

Folks:

The Gen light on our '64 Monza convert glowed at night, too -- brighter as I
switched on more stuff (high beams and heater fan from low to high). The
initial advice from old-timers was that the old generator was not producing enough
power and that I should switch to an alternator. A couple of them helped me do
this, but it didn't help and the light still glowed.

Then, one very dark night on the way home, all power suddenly went out -- no
lights, no engine, nothing. I used my cell phone to call for a tow, then a
friend in the club came over to examine the car. He found that the main power
link between the engine/alternator and the body had blown.

This is not unusual in Earlies, he said, and the fix was to either buy a new
plug and wire it in (somewhat time-consuming, as multiple splices would be
involved) or just do "bypass surgery" -- splice in a new main power wire around
the old plug (which is there mostly to aid the original assembly of the car and
occasional engine removal). I chose the bypass and he did it in a about a
half hour, and the problem was solved -- no more glowing Gen light.

I don't know where that multi-wire link is in a Rampside, but on the Early
passcars it's in the left-front corner of the engine compartment, near the
firewall. Age and comparatively high-amp use wears on the main power connector and
corrodes it; cleaning and greasing it might help, and if the Gen light's
glowing diminishes or stops, you know you've found the cause to your problem.
Replacing the entire plug or bypassing the main power connection should cure it.

--Tom Berg

***