<VV> Re: Floor Pans (Kinda Long)

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 11:36:06 EDT 2005

I'm not trying to be a smartass here or cause more trouble but it seems a little unfair to me list out all the correct tools and parts for a proper rivet job and then say "just use a $200 MIG welder".  It sounds a little apples to oranges to me.  Everyone I've talked to says those $200 MIG welders are near useless because they have a duty cycle time of miliseconds.  How much is a proper MIG setup? AND how much are the necessary supplies and accessories.

I'd love to hear that the cheap MIGs are good - then I might get one and start welding everything in sight!!!

For those of you that are discussing rivet installation of floor pans, please
allow me to shed some light on the process:

<SNIP>

Here's a list of tools you'll need:
Air Compressor
Air Hoses
Drill
Drill bits (Number sizes not fractional)
Center punch (perferably an automatic type)
Drill guide
Clecos (probably around a hundred of the correct size)
Cleco pliers
De-burring tools
Countersink
Countersink stop (adjustable drill stop)
putty knife
Panel adhesive gun
Rivet gun
Bucking bar
File(s)
Sheetmetal shears
Hearing protection
Safety glasses
Rags
Lights, Lots of lights and even more lights (to see where you are working)

<SNIP>

If it were me, I'd purchase a wire feed welder or MIG. Harbor Freight
sells one for about $200 bucks.

<SNIP>