<VV> Re:Floor Pans

Scott Cable s2cable1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 14:09:28 EDT 2005

Nothing like being mis-quoted, what I originally wrote was:
"Not to discourage anyones intent here, this is the reality of tackling
a job of this magnitude.
One could easily drop a grand alone in tools to do this job.  So what
is my advice?  If it were me, I'd purchase a wire feed welder or MIG.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $200 bucks."
Then if you read a little further down the original message, I described how I actually welded in my new floor pans using oxygen and gas.
My point being is this: It's a heck of alot more labor intensive to rivet install the floor pans vs welding.   Unless you work in the sheetmetal trades, rivet installation of steel floorpans is a daunting task.  Have you ever tried to buck a steel rivet before?  I have, and let me tell you, the dern things work harden almost immediately, if you don't believe me, ask any A&P how much fun it is to buck a solid steel rivet.

I also stated that Harbor Freight sells a Wire feed welder for about $200.  I did NOT attest to the quality or use-ability of this product, and what I stated should NOT be construed as an endorsement of any type for this or any product.  I did NOT state:"just use a $200 MIG welder".
I am a firm believer in buying and using quality tools, as far as tools go, you get what you pay for.
I'll also state this: Your results may vary.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
mhicks130 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a smartass here or cause more trouble but it seems
a little unfair to me list out all the correct tools and parts for a
proper rivet job and then say "just use a $200 MIG welder".  It sounds a
little apples to oranges to me.  Everyone I've talked to says those
$200 MIG welders are near useless because they have a duty cycle time of
miliseconds.  How much is a proper MIG setup? AND how much are the
necessary supplies and accessories.

I'd love to hear that the cheap MIGs are good - then I might get one
and start welding everything in sight!!!

Scott Cable
Jamestown, ND
s2cable1 at yahoo.com