<VV> welding

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 23:03:20 EDT 2005

Phil:

Pulsed Mig is a spatter free variation of Mig welding. You need a minimum of
300 amps output, but 400-500 amps is better.  It permits the use of larger
diameter wire (less money) and can keep welding fume on aluminum, steel and
stainless to an acceptably low level.

There are two current levels with this technology, the peak and back ground
current.  Peak current is typically set at 300-400 amp range and back ground
is set at 40-60 amp range.  The current levels cycle between the high and
low current to provide a smooth transfer of the metal droplet into the weld
pool. (You do short arc welding with your small Mig) Incidentally, I gave a
paper at the American Welding Society National Convention in Dallas this
year and used some high speed arc cinematography to illustrate the pulsed
metal transfer mechanism. The file is very large so its not something that
can be e mailed.

The best way to put this is that Electric Boat (down the street from here)
uses pulsed Mig to weld nuclear submarines.  Those that are familiar with
conventional Mig welding realize that lack of fusion is a big issue with an
improperly set system and could also be an issue on materials that are
thicker than 2.0 mm.

Computer control has made the new pulsed technology more user friendly and
these systems are now more affordable than ever. It's kind of like Mercedes
developing ABS and now its available on a Hyundai.

With respect to welding aluminum with your system, the issue that you (and
everyone else that tries to weld aluminum with a less costly Mig system will
experience) are wire feed issues. Feeding aluminum wire is like pushing a
wet noodle. You need a spool gun as a minimum but if you want to get serious
a push pull style feeder is required. That costs money.

I did not even touch on shielding gases and their impact.

I hope this helps.