<VV> Cheap Mig welder

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 10:37:15 EDT 2005

An unknown poster wrote:
>I'm not trying to be a smartass here or cause more trouble but it seems
a little unfair to me list out all the correct tools and parts for a
proper rivet job and then say "just use a $200 MIG welder".  It sounds a
little apples to oranges to me.  Everyone I've talked to says those
$200 MIG welders are near useless because they have a duty cycle time of
miliseconds.  How much is a proper MIG setup? AND how much are the
necessary supplies and accessories.

I'd love to hear that the cheap MIGs are good - then I might get one
and start welding everything in sight!!!<

Folks,
I have one of these $200 welders from Harbor Freight. It is a seven year old model that they still sell(85amp model). I used it to replace many body parts on my Rampside, "Frankentruck". I use it without gas. It does a poor job on rusty metal, but if you have a good ground connection on reasonably clean metal, it rocks. During all of the bed repair on my truck, I never had it shut itself down due to duty cycle. The short numbers that were thrown out usually apply to max amp settings, which I use infrequently for body work. He may have talked to bridge builders or commercial shop people who work with 1/2 inch thick steel. This is not the machine for that.

Thanks,
Bill Wells
'61 Ramp
'62 Brier
'65 Corsa Turbo
By the way, it is superior to the Campbell Hausfeld models from Home Depot.