<VV> MIG (Corvair if you say so)

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Fri Jun 3 17:38:53 EDT 2005

Smitty says:  Jump in here folks.  This thread is weakening fast.
Several wrote to slap my wrist as Alan did and I am sorely wounded.  In
light of the fact that some had research that backed their position I
will concede "no contest".  One or the people I posted was Roger Gault
and I came up with some important thoughts I should share.  The machine
is called a "Metal" inert gas welder, right?  OK to prevent confusion in
the future I propose that we call welders, Metal arc welders and Metal
tungsten inert gas welders, and  Metal Oxy Acetylene welders.  That way
we can save some poor unfortunate from welding his plastic toys with a
welder.  Heaven forbid he should try to weld his wooden dog house with a
welder that is designed for metal.  If it is designed for metal then he
should be made aware of it by the name.   On a related subject, it is not
safe or fair that people be left guessing when using Arc welders.
(henceforth known as Metal arc welders.  Since the flux coating on the
rods creates an inert gas envelope around the arc lets don't be sliding
by without calling it a Metal inert gas arc welder.  Which brings up a
really important point.  As Metal Oxy Acc welders have no inert shield to
prevent oxidation should we not start calling them Metal "Nert" Oxy
Acetylene.  Sure wouldn't want something as important as "Nert" to escape
identification in the name.  Nert should be as imperative in the name as
"Metal".
        In the future when I refer to my Mechanical (sorry) inert gas
welder I will refer to it as a wire feed welder.  There should be at
least ten of you find fault with that since it is of vital importance.
        If anyone is still reading this and was unable to find info on
the net about the Kelarc stitch welder, I found it this morning.  The
name Stitch Welder seems to be key,  The name KelArc has a cap "A"  in
it.  I saw a couple listed on ebay but be aware that they only cost about
$50 new.  Mine came from Whitney and  Eastwood sells them too.     (don't
call them a Metal KelArc Stitch Welder or Google can't find it)   gg
Those people are stupid.  They assume you are going to weld metal with
it.