<VV> Re: I need LM body/floorboard repair answers

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Fri Jun 3 20:39:03 EDT 2005

I am restoring/modifying a '69 500 Coupe and ran across some  "unknowns".

(1)  the rocker areas have a rubber "exit" flap on the inside - just  forward
of the rear wheel, but I see no entry point for water up front.  My
passenger side seems sealed off at the inside rear of the front wheelwell at the
level of the rocker..  Good undercoating and no openings for water  entry.  The
left (drivers) side is quite opposite.  It has gaps in the  lower folded/lapped
sheet metal at the bottom of the rear of the front wheelwell  and since some
rust repair has been done recently in that area, the undercoating  is gone.
Looks like water can easily run down through the rocker.   Did GM completely
seal off the rockers at the front and should I put it back  like that?
Makes no sense to me that there is an apparent "exit" point at the rear of
the rockers and no visible "entry" point - forward.

(2)  about 2 or 3 inches to the left of the clutch pedal rubber  footpad is
an area of thick smeared-on sealant.  It's on the sloped  vertical part of the
floorpan.  There is an exact copy of it on the  passenger side also.  I could
see rust there so dug out some of the sealant  and found rust-though.  There
seems to be 3 layers of lapped sheet metal  there...one being the front
subframe member flange.  No rust anywhere else  in the vertically sloped floorpan.
Everything behind the gas tank  looks solid and clean.  I don't see any water
entry point so was wondering  where the water came from to cause this "cancer"
since I want to prevent  recurrence.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated.

Joe Dunlap
Cen. Florida