<VV> Second Bent Fuel Pump Pushrod!

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Jun 4 09:44:16 EDT 2005

This kind of stuff can drive a guy nuts!  In old car sales, there's a
buzzword that I listen for from knowledgeable sellers and that's "It's all  sorted
out" meaning that all the little aggravations have all been  handled.  Both my
'66 and '67 engine build projects (one made from a  zillion different engines
with unknown histories, and the other made from a  freshly rebuilt pile of
mistakes) took three removal and disassembly cycles each  to get all the problems
out. This kind of aggravation definitely tests your  patience.  At our notch
in the restoration food-chain, restoration usually  means correcting decades
of poor maintenance as much as the cosmetic side.   If each mechanic that ever
touched the car did a 95% job, and even that's  optimistic, the little 5%
that's left over by each guy adds up and  eventually provides a vehicle that no
longer functions.  Stir in a mix of  used, aftermarket, and repop parts that
don't enjoy the QC of a mass production  behemoth and you have another recipe for
frustration. As you solve these  problems, one-at-a-time, you will put them
to bed and eventually, you will have  a reliable vehicle.  Corvairs are pretty
simple cars and once you have one  "all sorted out" they are quite reliable
and enjoyable!  Anybody  who can persevere through your clutch nightmare can
certainly tolerate  an "on the top" job like a fuel pump pushrod!  Why don't you
get a  good used one from a fellow member, pop it in, have a cool one, and
call it  a day?
Craig N.