<VV> Uprated Alternator?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Jun 4 12:14:14 EDT 2005

Bill,
       The answer to both of these concerns is to install a voltmeter which
will indicate whether your charging voltage is sufficient (at least 13.5 volts
with engine running above idle speed) and also whether you have ANY charging
at all.  As soon as the fan/alternator belt is no longer functioning, the
voltage will immediately drop to 12.6 and keep going lower until the engine is shut
off.
       Some of your other questions about modifying/changing alternators to
get higher charging current are answered in the Corvair Tech Guide available
from CORSA.  Following those directions you can join half of a LM stock
alternator with half of a later GM model and make over 60 amps.
       Good luck,
       Frank "sparky" Burkhard