<VV> Convertible Binding strip escutcheon removal

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 13:20:57 EDT 2005

I am preparing myself to replace my daughter's
convertible top ('64 Spyder).  The instructions just
say to removed the binding strip. The new chrome
escutcheons on each end of the strip (the strip
stapled through the top to the rear bow) came with
screws to install them.  My old ones have something
with a smooth flat round top (like a rivet) rather
than a screw holding them on.

Anyone familiar with these, and how do I get them off?
 I'm trying to be prepared so we can do the job over a
weekend, and I don't want to spend a day and a half
trying to remove the first part (or repairing the
damage I did trying)!

Thanks

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on