<VV> Second Bent Fuel Pump Pushrod!

Greenbrier Goon greenbriergoon at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 16:43:20 EDT 2005

Okay, I have calmed down a bit.

After checking the straightness in the drill, I also used the straight edge of a ruler to see the bend.  It is very slight, but it's enough to cause the pushrod to bind up in the engine block.

The orignal Chevrolet  one I have is out of a junk engine someone gave me.  The bottom is worn in a concave shape.  I don't know if it would cause any damage if  I tried to use it.

I thought converting from an electric fuel pump to a mechanical one would take an hour or two.  I was way off on that one!

Anyway, I will get back on the horn with the vendor on Monday and let them know what is going on.  I can't be the only one receiving bent pushrods from this vendor unless I'm just really unlucky.

Thanks to those who offered advice.

Charles

tkalp at cox.net wrote:
Charles,

You can easily measure the bend with a flat surface (piece of glass) and feeler gauges. No fancy equipment required. I would guess it would take quite a bit of force to bend a fuel pump pushrod and, like you, I would be very suprised to find two bent new pushrods. It would be much easier and cheaper to make them without the bend. E-mail or call the vendor, explain your problem . . . most of those I have delt with are very willing to make things right.

Which pushrod are you using the 60-61 style or the 62 on style? Even tho your old rod is worn short, it still should be able to run the pump. They are not that hard to change, why not use it until you get a good replacement?

Terry Kalp

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm