Fwd: <VV> Defective Delco Batteries -NO Corvair

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 20:38:56 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/3/2005 4:46:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
GYoungwolf at aol.com writes:
For those with other GM products, this is a warning you might want to
consider. I have just encountered my THIRD factory defective AC Delco side
terminal
battery.
For those of you with side post batteries in your Corvairs......

To follow up on Grant's advice, I've had two Delco batteries fail at the side
posts because they were overtightened by the dealer.  Both were replacements
that I put in myself and which were disconnected and reconnected by the local
GM dealer when they did work on the cars.  I prefer Interstate Batteries if I
can get a deal, but, in fairness to GM none of the original Delco batteries
broke and the replacements only broke--I believe--when the mechanics
overtightened them.  (The same dealer also so overtightened the alternator bolts when
they replaced a serpentine belt on my '98 Bonneville {you have to disconnect the
motor mount to replace it--this year only I believe} that I had to use an
eighteen inch breaker bar to loosen the alt nuts--and one broke).  I have
purchased the small battery ratchets for side post terminals at local FLAPS and carry
one with the toolkit in each of the waterpumpers now.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair