Fwd: <VV> Re: I need LM body/floorboard repair answers

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 21:05:17 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/3/2005 9:00:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
chsadek at adelphia.net writes:
Remember, water will run down the front of the door/hinge post from the cowl
area into the rocker area.

I think this is the source of the rust in the area above the stamped metal
"frame".

Chuck S
GM called this the "flush and dry" body protection system.  Air (and water)
from the cowl constantly circulated through the rockers to dry them out.  The
rubber flap at the inside rear of the rockers was the one way valve.  It kept
debris from the rear wheel splash out of the rocker, but deflected at speed to
allow air and water to escape.  The problems arose when debris filled the
vertical area above the front of the rocker so air couldn't flow into the rocker.
The rocker didn't dry as fast and the debris above it held acidic moisture
that rusted out the rear front fender and the hinge areas.

Spring and fall flushing extended the life of the rockers and front
fender/hinge area.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair