<VV> Bilsteins for corvairs

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Tue Jun 7 10:20:26 EDT 2005

I started using Koni's on my 66 Vair by 1967, and use them on my 95 Audi
S6.  I used Bilsteins on a 1980 Scirocco, and use them on my 88 Audi
90q.  The Bilsteins have always given me the impression of adding a
second pair of higher frequency poles to the suspension transfer
function.  I don't know enough about the Bilsteins' construction to
speculate why.  I do like the feel of the Konis a bit better, though.

The effect is subtle, and probably not important to control of the
vehicle.  Comparing the two in a non-scientific test using my different
weight Audi's, with each on the most aggressive street rubber available
for presently used wheel sizes, my observation is that whatever very
slight advantage the S6 (Koni) would seem to have in addressing bumpy
turns, where the shocks would make the most difference, could be
attributed to other factors, such as the relatively heavier wheel and
tires in use on the 90q (Bilstein) vs. the stock weight for which the
car's springs were designed.

kirby