<VV> OnStar

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 12:57:21 EDT 2005

I wasn't going to contribute to this train.  However ......

The intrusion into our lives of government and such entities as insurance
companies is insidious.  They can and do force their respective wills on us in so
many ways.  This is also true of market forces whether good or bad.  If these
systems become popular enough, they will be standard on all cars, not just
high end GM.  The Feds force their will on us all the time.  The recent "Click
it or Ticket" program is being forced on the states illegally with the threat
of holding back federal funds from the states.  These are tax dollars the
citizens of these states are forced to pay with the belief that they will get them
back in services.  If insurance companies lobby successfully for the use of
expanded "Black Box" recording capability of what we do in our cars, they will
be in our shorts full time on the road.  Don't think that this can't happen.
It may be made legitimate by lawmakers or it could be financially forced on us.
 The insurance companies could make a good case for charging more for
"unmonitored" cars than for cars with monitoring systems.  This kicker could be
significant and may even be applied to our classic cars.  If you disable the system
(unlikely in this scenario) the insurance company might be able to void your
coverage in case of a loss.

Anyway, Big Brother is here.  He just doesn't want you to know.  If he can't
come in the front door, he will come in through a window.

I am off of my soap box now.

Doc
In a message dated 6/6/2005 12:43:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,