re <VV> Breaking out

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 7 14:50:31 EDT 2005

>  I was really pulling for the Monza and to see it lose
>by such a tiny amount of breakout (even though technically the Vair got to
>the finish line FIRST) was disappointing.

I lost interest in drag racing when they started with this "breakout"
nonsense, after all with the right electronics can make a car run on a
coupla thousandths every time (build to speed then back off at finish).
Also reason everybody has an automatic now.

Of course have always been more into roundy-round.

Biggest difference from when Corvairs were new and now is tires: cantilever
slicks were just coming out in '65 and modern rubber can do almost anything.

However don't know modern HP. After all they are measuring NET and old
style measured in SAE, about 30% higher. So when a modern GTO with a small
block 366 says 400 bhp, that is a whole bunch more than a 1970 450 bhp LS-6.

Of course everyone was lying back then anyway (290 hp from a Z-28 ? Sure at
4800, just don't ask about  6500. Particularly when the engine they want
you to buy, the SS-350, is rated at 295 hp which is just under 10 lb/hp to
appease the Insurance companies.

Its all marketting.

Padgett
Padgett