<VV> Re: tracking with cell phones (No Corvair)

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Tue Jun 7 20:21:23 EDT 2005

>If you use a cell phone, you leave an electronic trail behind which makes it
>easy to track you with a margin of error equal to the distance to the cell
>site you are linked to.

>Joe

They've done one better. Many new cell phones are GPS enabled.... yes, even the cheap ones. The idea is for emergency response teams to be able to find
you in an emergency (and to properly route a 911 call...there are stories of folks dialing 911 in NY and getting a police dispatcher in Kansas).  My new phone
allows me to "turn off" the GPS or enable it only for 911 calls... but I bet few folks do that.

Bill