re <VV> three onna tree

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet at charter.net
Tue Jun 7 20:49:27 EDT 2005

> Once drove a '59 XK-150S from North Carolina to The City with my right
> hand in a cast.

I wasn't one of those lucky guys with a cool 55 or a floor speed. I had to
make do with a 60 Ford Falcon four door two speed automatic. I did try to
make it sound like a standard shift and fake a floor shift by timing the
move to when the tranny would shift up.
My story of shifting with your left hand comes from the old drag racing days
and features a Corvair. The local 1320 was my hangout every Sunday to watch
the locals burn rubber and crush gears. There was 406 Fords and 409 Chevys
and an old Army jeep with a Plymouth slant six in it.
One day a Dude pulled in with a new 62 Corvair Spyder. Besides the car, what
made me look was the fact the guy was missing his right arm up to a stub at
the shoulder and he was classed and ready to race. This I had to see as did
everybody else. I don't remember what class he was in but he surprised
everyone by the way he could hold the wheel steady with his stub and lean
over and power shift the Vair! I never heard him miss a gear and he was
winning. He became a regular at the strip. That's a true story!
On the other hand a buddy of mine had his sisters old 55 three on the tree
Chevy to cruise around in and as usual I was with him. It burned oil faster
than gas and we would stop at the local Kay-o station for a quart or two of
that 25 cent re-manufactured oil in the glass bottles with the screw on
metal pour spout top. The tranny was so worn out that if you were in second
gear and put the clutch in it would drop in to second. Also at 15 MPH you
could pull it down in to low without a sound!

Rick