<VV> 3 onna tree - more!

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Tue Jun 7 23:37:22 EDT 2005

Ha! My very first car was a '49 Plymouth with 3 on the tree. The car was worn
out way before I bought it for $95 so of course the shifter was balky. On one
little trip I recall having to take my arm from around my girl friend's
shoulders many times to fight the shifter. "Excuse me... @#$%^&^% it!"

Then there was the '56 Dodge panel truck at work. Its 3-onna-tree linkage
blocked the brake pedal while the tranny was in 1st -- so no brakes -- and I
almost had a wreck when leaving the loading dock and entering a busy boulevard
(Kilbourne Avenue between 3rd and 4th, for you Milwaukee folks).

In the garage I gave the truck to another young (18, like me) driver and told
him to park it on the wash rack. He went through two turns and headed for the
rack, all the time in 1st gear. I didn't see the crash but heard him scream,
then bang! as the Dodge hit the wall.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about 1st gear and the brakes," I said while
stiffling a laugh as he emerged from between some parked trucks.

"Oh, thanks a LOT," he said. He didn't think it was so funny, even though I
really had forgotten about it. We wrote it up and the mechanics fixed the
linkage, and soon after that the company traded off the Dodge. Good riddance, as
the late '50s and early '60s Chevys with 4-speed floor shifts (with granny lows)
were faster and much more fun to drive.

--Tom Berg

***